いらっしゃいませ!Look, how many amazing Japanese things we have here! =(^_^)=

January 03, 2015

Japanese KitKats - golden citrus flavour


Hello, Foodies! Today we start our first series in 2015 - KitKat battles! You've been asking me about these "crazy Japanese KitKats" for suuuuch a long time, and...I finally have them! So stay in your comfy chairs and keep reading! :3




Starting with golden citrus flavored KitKat  (柑橘黄金 - kankitsu kogane), its flavor comes from oranges, lemons and fruit called sudachi. That last one is a small, round and green Japanese citrus fruit, too sour to be eaten as a fruit itself (it's used widely in Japan as a flavouring). You can see all fruits on the packaging. (o^▽^o)

This flavour is limited to only few regions in Japan: Chūgoku and Shikoku. Chugoku (also known because of funny name San'in-San'yō - 山陰山陽) is the westernmost region of the biggest Japan island - Honshū. Shikoku is the smallest of the main Japanese islands. You can find Shikoku on the overall "map of KitKats" and Chūgoku is a little bit above that. Amazing, isn't it? 


The taste. It's citrus without a doubt. At first you can feel strongly sour flavor with orange tang to it, however sour flavour quickly makes room for sweetness.

If I could compare its taste to something else it would be coated citrus wafers. It tastes a little bit like orange powdered orangeade. However, quality-wise these KitKats are definitely better. Explosion of sweet freshness is what these bars are. And this colour...!

 9 / 10


Above was Wu's final grade but it's not over.
Welcome to The Veti's Zone :D

There exists an incredible variety of Japanese KitKats guys and today we have quite the exotic one. This will be my own opinion and personal rating on the citrus flavoured KitKat so you can compare it with Wu's main grade.

This KitKat's flavour caught my attention because I'm a big lover of sour taste and citrus fruits. After the first bite my mouth was full of sour "freshness of fruit". After that I could feel dainty chocolate. That was one pleasurable experience, and it was awesome!

This flavour is missing in sweets for me, but finally I had a chance to try it. Nestle knows perfectly how to lure me ;). From me Golden Citrus KitKat gets oishii! grade, which is well-deserved 9 out of 10.

1 comment: